Who we areNorth Curry Film Society
was set up by a group of keen film goers after two years of fundraising to purchase the equipment on behalf of the village hall. We aim to show contemporary films that do not get a wide distribution by large multiplex cinemas. The majority of films are in the English language but foreign, subtitled films are also shown. The equipment is owned by the village hall and is available for hire to other interested groups. Initially showings were to members only, but from September 2012 it is possible to view individual films for a payment of £5 on the door, if the Hall is not too full. We are also introducing a 'Winter Warmer' series of films on Saturday afternoons in the Winter, with tea and cake. Information about these extra programmes will be given nearer the date. there will be a charge of £2 for members and £5 for non-members.
Chairman: John Attwood
Vice-Chairman: Julia Spotswood
Secretary: Jane Attwood
Treasurer: Philip Marshall
Marketing & Publicity: Joan Gubbin
Membership Secretary: Heather Williams
Committee Member: Adrian Tait
A bit of history
North Curry was once home to the smallest cinema in England. It is not known when it started but The Bijou in Moor Lane, shown here in 1936, was owned by Albert Derham and it was his wife’s son Kenneth Mapledoram, who was very keen on films and turned into a venue for showing films.
Children's programme matinée (right)
All photographs © North Curry Archives. North Curry Archives are housed in The Loft, 1 Town Farm, The Pavement, North Curry Somerset TA3 6NP (above the Coffee Shop). For access and information contact the Archivist Mrs Betty Koppa - Telephone: 01823 490404 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.